Skip to content

Methodism in Pinner


The earliest evidence of Methodism holding “cottage meetings” in Pinner was in 1828 (37 years after the death of the Rev’d John Wesley). The cottage or “barn” was part of a farm in Westend Lane near to Water Lane, later known as Chapel Lane, where the upper floors were converted into a chapel and used for services by Methodists.


The Society was part of the Windsor and Maidenhead Wesleyan Circuit, whose first service took place in 1829. It was not easy for early preachers to gain access to the cottage so ministers would ride through the “mob” who regularly tried to disrupt meetings.


In 1844 the first Methodist Chapel was built near to the cottage. The name of the road was eventually changed to Chapel Lane as a Baptist Chapel was built next to the Methodist Chapel.


The arrival of the Metropolitan railway in 1885 was a major problem to the chapels that stood in its way. The Baptist Chapel had to move to another site and the Methodist Chapel was right next to the embankment and was continually flooded. The Methodist Chapel faced further disruption when shaken by steam trains that went past when the railway line was extended to Rickmansworth in 1887.


Eventually the chimney came crashing down and damaged the chapel making it unusable. Services were then held at the famous “Cocoa Tree Restaurant” at the top of the High Street. In 1917 a new school chapel was built in Love Lane, using materials salvaged from Chapel Lane.


The chapel was enlarged in 1926 and is now the Church Hall.


In October 1936 the foundation stone was laid of the present church.


The premises were officially opened on May 22nd 1937 by Lady Tudor Walters.


Many changes have taken place since then with the last being the major development of opening out the front of the building in 2008 to make the Foyer.